Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

BEATITUDES

The Beatitudes –

Jesus began his so-called "Sermon on the Mount" with what we now refer to as "The Beatitudes."   The word "beatitude" means "blessedness" or "declaration of blessedness."   You will find The Beatitudes in the fifth chapter of Matthew, verses 3 through 10.   I hope you will take time to read these verses later today.

The Devil's Beatitudes –
The devil does not have his beatitudes in print but if he did, they would probably go something like this:
  1. Blessed are those who are too tired, too busy, too distracted to spend an hour once a week with their fellow Christians – they are my best workers.
  2. Blessed are those Christians who wait to be asked and expect to be thanked – I can use them.
  3. Blessed are the touchy who stop meeting with their brothers and sisters in Christ – they are my missionaries.
  4. Blessed are the trouble makers – they shall be called my children.
  5. Blessed are the complainers – I'm all ears to them.
  6.  Blessed are those who are bored with the minister's mannerisms and mistakes – for they get nothing out of his sermons.
  7.  Blessed is the church member who expects to be invited to his own church – for he is a part of the problem instead of the solution.
  8. Blessed are those who gossip – for they shall cause strife and divisions that please me.
  9. Blessed are those who are easily offended – for they will soon get angry and quit.
  10. Blessed are those who do not give their offering to carry on God's work – for they are my helpers.
  11. Blessed is he who professes to love God but hates his brother and sister – for he shall be with me forever. 
  12. Blessed are you who, when you read this, think it is about other people and not yourself – I've got you too!
These were presented to make you think.   Do some of these apply to you once in a while?   I'm ashamed to admit that some of them apply to me.   My attitude and my actions sometimes cause Satan to be very proud of me.   That is NOT what I want!

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith... 1 Peter 5:8-9

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7

Don't just GO to Church; BE the Church

No comments: